THE AG Studio | Alison Gordon Studio - Next-Level Stationery & Fashion Prints


As you know I'm a sucker for all things stationery, but lately I'd had trouble finding stand-out cards for all the incredible celebrations and occasions before me: birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, new jobs, new houses/condos and apartments, and babies on the way.

And of course, I wouldn't settle for less than fabulous, stylish greeting cards, but alas, what I mostly found was truly lame and cliched. So I dug in deeper and went on a hunt for chic cards made for us truly modern folks.

When I stumbled across The AG Studio - Alison Gordon Studio, I was astonished to see stylish gals with knapsacks and turtlenecks, bluejean jackets and sunglasses, flower crown, messy bun and boyfriend jeans, glasses and bomber jacket, statement dress, ripped jeans and studded heels, and the exact outfit I wore to a big restaurant opening last week (put some glasses on her and we're twinning). These were women I knew, that were good friends and workmates, who cared about style without being a slave to it or being covered head-to-to frills all the time. Finally a line that represented the cool chicks we all know and love, without being all "Sex and the City" banal about it. I love these so much.

Founder and fashion illustrator Alison White has over 10 years of fashion industry experience, so she knows what's trendy, what's trending, and what's so-over-don't-even-bother. Her illustrations in The AGS Shop are fun and whimsical, but so of the moment. They feature women like you and I, which let's face it, aren't often represented well in prints and cards. These women have a little bit of grit and 'tude sometimes, but are fierce it the best way (head to the *no filter* section for more bossness).

And for those that can't get enough of shoes, purses, lipstick, perfume, sunnies, and girls' night out, there's stuff for you too. But there's also beer, an Alexander Wang boot, Chuck Taylors, and other items that aren't thought of as "feminine." Which is gamechanging. Because we both know we're not one-dimensional and have only one side and one look to us. I live in shift dresses and heels for work, but come date night, I want something sexier. And get togethers with friends? Anything and everything goes, which means my whole wardrobe goes into rotation at least twice.

THE AG Studio is the first art shop I've found to represent all sides of me and the women in my life - smart, stylish, and hard-working. Between Alison's made in Canada fashion prints, greeting cards, social stationery, notebooks, notepads and calendar, there's truly something for everyone. 


I love the women Alison has created in her print collection. She's captured their style and personalities perfectly: 

Alexa knows who she is and doesn't care if you like her or not because she likes herself just fine. I'm not sure which one I'm most like. I so want to be Hannah and Kate, but I'm no doubt more a Grace or Stella (which is why I may be rockin' more ripped jeans these nights than fitted frocks). 

No matter who you are or aspire to be, it's such a relief to see women in more than one type of outfit for once. 

There are also quotes such as this one by Audrey Hepburn, Chanel Perfume Bottles in a range of pastel hues, and a belle of the ball type Pretty in Pink, to name just a few.

I send cards out a lot. So I was over the moon to find an assortment that covers a range of folks like the ones below. Illustrations are printed on luxe white linen stock (swoon) with patterned backing - marble, linear flowers (great tattoo idea) and geometric print in soft pastels (double swoon). Inside is left blank so you can write as little or much as you want. Envelopes are green-e certified, FSC certified and green seal certified and come in a range of colours - so far my faves are neon pink and teal, though you can never go wrong with classic white. Here's a closer look:

My shoe loving friend Elizabeth who once pondered long and hard over squeezing her tootsies in studded heels half a size too small would be chuffed to bits to receive the Happy Birthday Shoe Slut card.

Hello Gorgeous isn't your typical girly print, though there's a touch of pink and the use of a curlicue font. This works for a number of folks (Jennifer, Alyssa, Linsay, and Melissa, to mention a few), and occasions (you name it), so get the Box Set of 8. You're going to need 'em.

Audrey Hepburn was a hero to many for her style, philanthropy, and much more. Clearly Alison is a fan too, because there are numerous prints and cards in her honour. I Believe in Pink is sweet without being too saccharine.

Ooh, I should have mailed Happy Birthday Bitch out to a good friend weeks ago. But I love it too much to part with it. Perhaps because for a long time back in the day, I rocked the long blonde hair and black leather jacket look, so it reminds me of those times. Or maybe it's because I want to hang out with someone as cool as her. This woman has street style and confidence oozing out of her. So I'm hanging on to her for a little while longer and sending out belated bday wishes to one of my closest friends, who will completely understand my dilemma.

Kindess Changes Everything doesn't feature any off-the-shoulder blouses, pussy bows, fringed jeans or other on point statement pieces. Instead it's the kind of card you always need when you're surrounded by such great people in your life. I am floored by the kindness my friends, family and colleagues extend to me. I try and send them cards on the regular to express this. And this one says it all.

A hero to many, Michelle Obama's strong advice is beautifully illustrated on the When They Go Low card (also available in art print). One of the best encouragement and support cards a loved one could receive.


There is nothing like a big, juicy notebook to sink your teeth into. And Alison's are phenomenal. Like all AG Studio products, they're made out of 100% recyclable paper and packaged with serious love (black tissue and striped washi tape, then covered in newsprint so that your items arrive fresh and ready to use). 

Take a look:

- Intelligence is Always Beautiful boasts gold spiral binding with gold foil on the cover and pink pocket page, while Knowledge is Power is bound with silver spirals, and features black foil on the cover with a grey interior pocket. How you would ever choose between these two stunners is beyond me, so I'm grateful to have both to scrawl in.

At 9.25"' x 11" (just about the size of  your MacBook) and with 160 lined, perforated pages, you've finally got a place to jot down all those ideas spilling over in your head.

With rounded corners for extra chic factor, wide lines and a smooth surface that your pen glides across, this is the notebook of your dreams.

Sure you could use just any ol' notebook to write things down, but why when you have such artistic inspiration right in front of you?

In fact, they're so pretty, I always make sure to take them out of my bag and put them somewhere in view. 

- Any Day Every Day Agenda (pictured at top)

I am probably one of the only people you know who still uses paper calendars and agendas. Don't get me wrong - I'm all over my iCal and Google Calendars just like you. But in addition, I need to plan everything out on paper. It's just how I work.

So finding one with the most adorable cover of a girl with short hair (holler!) in a Breton top, sipping on her coffee is a sheer delight. And you just know you're going to hear squeals of joy around the office/coffee shop/store/meeting when you pull this beauty out of your tote (I don't see that happening with your rote office supply calendar).

The size (6.78" x 9.13/16") is as perfect as the girl on the cover (named Audrey, 'natch). It fits easily onto your crowded desktop and slips into to your purse, tote and carry-on with ease. And allows you enough space to write down everything you've got going on (and we both know that's a lot).

Another serious bonus is that you get to START ANY DAY OF THE YEAR, which is perfect as right now academic calendars don't come out until the end of June and we're already well into the year so it would be weird to leap into a Jan-Dec one now with over a quarter of the pages empty. You start when you're ready, on your terms. Alison totally gets you. If she didn't have her own company already, you'd launch one with her. Lord knows she's organized.

Two-pages per month gives you an overview on the big picture, and two-pages for the week lets you fill in all the important details. There are illustrated pages complete with quotes to keep things light. black satin ribbon to mark your place, and a black elastic closure so that your pages stay tidy no matter how bumpy your commute.

Planning your days has never been more fun. Or chic.

------

Alison, your line: I love it like whoa.


p.s. In addition to the shop, AGS provides custom design and illustration services including canvas and art prints, digital design, brand development, marketing, web and print design. 

gottheknack

No comments:

Instagram

Copyright © the knack | Stephanie Dickison 2019.